Natural Washing Powder
Most of the chemicals found in washing powders haven’t been tested for their long term effects on humans. The reason? They’re not ingestibles (ie. we aren’t eating them). So for things we eat, there are laws requiring stringent testing and safety standards to protect us from harmful chemicals. And since we’re not eating laundry powder, who cares if they contain questionable ingredients, right? Wrong!!
Potentially harmful ingredients in laundry products can enter the body through inhalation or contact with the skin (through residue left on your clothing, towels, sheets, etc). And entering through the skin makes it even easier for these ingredients to end up in the bloodstream. So it is just as bad as having consumed them (albeit in lower quantities)!
So unfortunately, we are left with a large amount of washing powders on the market containing potentially unsafe ingredients. Scroll down to find natural washing powder.
According to research by the University of Washington, when scented laundry detergents and fabric softeners are used, dryer vents emit more than 25 volatile organic compounds (VOCs) per load, many of which are classified as hazardous air pollutants.
What are some of the Worst Ingredients in Laundry Powders?
Here are some of the bad ingredients you should be aware of:
- Synthetic Fragrances – commonly trigger asthma attacks and other breathing problems, the majority of fragrances also contain phthalates which can cause hormone disruption, affecting fertility and development
- Natural Fragrances – “natural” doesn’t mean safe and if you see this it can still contain harmful ingredients
- Unscented detergents – usually have the same ingredients as the scented versions, but with an additional masking chemical
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – also SLES, can irritate the skin and eyes, and have links to neurotoxicity
- Phosphates – known to cause nausea, diarrhea, and skin irritation
- Bleach (aka Sodium Hypochlorite) – very toxic and considered carcinogenic
- Petroleum distillates – solvents linked to mucus membrane damage, lung damage and inflammation and asthma
If only “Betty” knew what was in the products she was using…I don’t think she’d still be smiling!
How Do I know If My Laundry Powder Has Bad Chemicals?
It’s actually pretty easy. If there’s label on the bottle or packet saying “warning”, “caution” or “danger”, then it’s a safe bet there will be dangerous chemicals in the product. When you see this, don’t buy the product, it’s just that simple! You’ll be surprised how many brands you need to avoid.
So Where Can I Get Natural Washing Powder That’s Safe?
I’m so glad you asked! Luckily, we have done a lot of research, and found a great company that sells natural washing powder that is 100% free of harmful chemicals, which is better for you and the environment.
Modere Laundry Powder Concentrate
The ‘Rolls Royce’ of washing powders, it is formulated especially for the Australian market with SPF sun protection to reduce fading and keep your clothes looking great for longer. It uses gentle and effective cleansing agents that rinse free and are suitable for use with baby’s clothes and those with sensitive skin. Suitable for both front and top loading machines.
- highly effective natural washing powder 100% free of harmful ingredients
- environmentally conscious (leave a gentler eco footprint)
- concentrated ingredients (so products last for longer)
- no testing on animals
- supports many local charities and aid organisations
- products delivered quickly to your front door
They also have a safety-conscious fabric softener, which you can view here.