We are living in a world that has much higher levels of toxicity than ever seen before. Pollution, electromagnetic radiation, synthetic pesticides, food additives and preservatives are all having an adverse effect on the health of your body. Throw in the stresses of everyday life, lack of sleep and a reduction in physical activity, and it’s not surprising that serious disease and ailments are increasing faster than ever before. We need to reduce our exposure to harmful chemicals and give our bodies a fighting chance.
It may come as a surprise, but the majority of toxins
you’re exposed to can be found right in your own home!
Everyday personal care and cleaning products you buy at the supermarket can contain ingredients that are harmful. A recent study of 2983 chemicals used in mainstream products around the home showed 884 were found to be toxic, causing things such as skin and eye irritations, biological mutations, and even tumours.
8 toxins found in personal care and cleaning products
1. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) – is a cheap chemical commonly found in foaming products (shampoo, toothpaste, laundry powders, household cleaners) and can cause skin, scalp and gum irritations and even hormone imbalance. SLS can be contaminated by Dioxane, a known carcinogen. It was originally made as a pesticide and a heavy duty cleaner for cars…why on earth would we want to put this in our mouth and on our skin??
2. Phthalates – are present in products such as shampoos where they act as softeners. But they are also ‘endocrine disruptors’ and can cause neurological and reproductive damage. Anything that lists “Fragrance” as one of their ingredients contains Phthalates.
3. Propylene Glycol – is actually antifreeze, and is linked to diseases of the liver and kidney. This chemical is all too common in shampoos, deodorants and cosmetics.
4. Parabens – are preservatives quite often found in shampoos, conditioners and makeup. Like some of these other chemicals, it can disrupt hormone function and is linked to higher risk of reproductive fertility and breast cancer.
5. Phenol – was extracted from coal tar (I’m sure Tony Abbott loves it!) but now is produced from petroleum. Also known as ‘Carbolic Acid’, it is corrosive to the skin, eyes and lungs, and can harm the heart and nervous system.
6. Petrolatum – coats the skin like plastic, and is used in creams, baby rash ointment and other personal care products. Unfortunately, this clogs pores and creates a build up of toxins, and are suspected of causing cancer.
7. Acrylamide – is an industrial chemical and can be found in numerous face creams. It is known to increase infertility and neurological problems.
8. Heavy metals – most lipstick contains lead, most deodorants contain aluminium, some eyeliners contain mercury, arsenic and cadmium. All of these are highly toxic so why would we want them put on our bodies and absorbed into the bloodstream?
Scary stuff hey? So how can you reduce your toxic exposure around the house?
It’s actually quite simple. Switching personal care and cleaning products to natural brands that are free of harmful chemicals will have an immediate and dramatic impact on your toxicity levels and overall health.
Can’t be bothered trawling through the supermarket aisles, scanning each product to make sure it’s good for you? You don’t have to! We’ve found the perfect company who’s entire product range is 100% safety-conscious and highly effective. Visit Modere (as a visitor of Health Helper you will get $10 off your first order)